[Cuis-dev] Naming conventions

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Apr 27 08:42:52 PDT 2020

On 2020-04-27 08:22, Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev wrote:
> El 27/4/20 a las 12:13, ken.dickey--- via Cuis-dev escribió:
..
>> Examples?
>
> For example, Seaside uses 'WA' prefix for its classes, like:
> WAHtmlCanvas, WAAuthConfiguration, etc.

Ah.  I might have expected "Web" or "SSWeb".  What is WA? State of WA
(Washington?) Web Authoring?

Best to stay away from acronyms.

Also, best to have composable reused/reusable common features.  How many
HtmlCanvas classes are there?

I can see where this might help with ported code to avoid conflicts.

Mariano, thanks much for the examples BTW.  I have seen prefixes used
based on GUI vs Algorithmic, containers, immutability, style, and so
forth.

My preference is to simplify, unify, and share function.  One might use
a prefix in an initial port, but if useful over time I would hope the
glob of code would be refined into composable features which are easily
shared.  A comprehensible system, not just one that works.

When I am testing (e.g. Feature>>require:) I may load scads of packages,
but for me the result in Cuis has always been way under 900 classes.  I
don't want to see 9000 classes!

$0.02,
-KenD