[Cuis-dev] Naming conventions

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Apr 28 07:00:15 PDT 2020

Hi Giorgio,

On 4/28/2020 5:08 AM, giorgio ferraris via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi, Juan,
>
> probably there is something that makes it faster using what you
> propose, but a general convention between languages is a dot as a
> separator for namespaces. VW is adopting this. (and BTW it seems more
> elegant too...) .

Using backticks is orthogonal to using a dot. Backticks in Cuis means
that the expression is evaluated just once when compiling the method,
and the result is kept in a method literal. It means you can make any
object into a method literal like 1.23 or 'hello'.

The reason for not using a dot would be to avoid adding new syntax to
the language.

> Any case, I just started tasting Cuis water, and I have to say that,
> after the first moment of confusion (starting with git seems not
> natural for an old smalltalk programmer...) , I begin to appreciate
> the work you did in these years.
> ciao
> giorgio

Nice to know. If you imagine any warning or tweak to the docs we could
add to lessen that initial surprise, please tell. Feedback from people
with different backgrounds (from beginners to old timers, with assorted
non-Smalltalk tastes and experience) is really useful for polishing the
experience for everybody. So, please take a few minutes to see if you
have any suggestions.