[Cuis-dev] Talking about Layouts

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Apr 28 08:50:26 PDT 2020

On 2020-04-28 07:04, Dan Norton via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:05:28 +0200
> Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

>> Which of padding or attraction is the most well known term in GUI
>> construction? It could help to decide.

I went for "attraction" because "Padding" is usually used opposite to
current Cuis: "padding" on the left moves object to the right.
Confusing to me.

New method names means we can deprecate and have the old methods still
work during the transformation/update.

>> > Options include treating the Morph's width and height as fixed or
>> > proportional to the LayoutMorph's extent.
>>

>> What about "Minor or Perpendicular axis/direction" ?

"Perpendicular" is good, but long to type.

What about just talking about the layout axis?

Instead of #attraction: in both cases, perhaps:

   LayoutMorph >> axisEdgeWeight:

   LayoutSpec >> offAxisEdgeWeight:

Weight has the advantage that range 0.0 .. 1.0 still makes sense.

Which do you like better?

-KenD