[Cuis-dev] [ChangeSet] Reinstall updated packages when installing updates

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 10 06:09:08 PDT 2020

On 8/9/2020 9:36 PM, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
> The changeset asks the user if they want to reload.  The issue is the
> act of reloading a package: it's inherently unsafe.
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 7:55 PM Mariano Montone via Cuis-dev
> <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st <mailto:cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>> wrote:
>
>     El 9/8/20 a las 20:09, Phil B via Cuis-dev escribió:
>     > I think this is a good idea conceptually, dangerous in
>     practice.  The
>     > update changesets are intended to be installed one after the
>     other on
>     > top of each other, packages aren't.  I'd bet that no one ever
>     does any
>     > testing to see if installing a new package over an older one works
>     > correctly.
>
>     Perhaps you could warn the user, and Object>>confirm: the operation.
>     --

Phil, what you say is true. We could instead check package versions and
inform the user which packages could / should be reloaded.

Still, we can say that loading numbered updates to the core image is
only safe if the image has no packages or user code loaded (i.e. it is
unmodified in any way since downloaded), as this is the only case that
we test.