[Cuis-dev] Question re: recent updates (4342)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Aug 16 04:35:07 PDT 2020

On 8/15/2020 12:24 PM, Phil B via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Nope, that didn't fix it.  When I restart the image, it hangs.  Not
> sure what's different with my environment re: 4342 but it looks like
> it's got problems.
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Phil B <pbpublist at gmail.com
> <mailto:pbpublist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Something about 4342 results in a VectorGraphics (font?)
>     dependency which I didn't see a message for until I interrupted
>     the hanging image.   I ended up removing the #beSilent: code and
>     setting author initials manually while starting to troubleshoot
>     which then solved the problem so that's as far as I took it before
>     moving on to the next issue.
>
>     On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:59 PM Phil B <pbpublist at gmail.com
>     <mailto:pbpublist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         When I just tried to update my image, the image hangs while
>         processing 4342.  I see the Transcript message that says
>         'Please restart [Install New Updates]' but the UI is frozen...
>
>         Thanks,
>         Phil

Hi Phil,

For most people, the general advice is to just use a new, updated image
from the repo. In general, I think that keeping own work separate from
the image, and loading it every day, is the best workflow. It works for me.

Still, if you want to update your personal image, use the FileList to
take a look at update #4342. See what it does. It does only what it
says: It removes an unused ivar from HandMorph. Just not applying this
update will not have serious consequences. This can be done by editing
the doIt in the changeset. In your image, HandMorph will still have an
unused ivar. It is not a big deal.

Another alternative, of course, is to debug the problem. Extract the
doit from the changeset. Evaluate it in a Workspace. If it crashes,
repeat with smaller parts. Can you fork a process that just sets a
global variable? If so, can you make it print to Transcript. (This is an
extremely useful technique when messing with Morphic itself, that's why
we have a Transcript that runs independent of Morphic). Ok. Can you stop
the Morphic process and start a new one? Can you redefine class
HandMorph with the same definition as it has today? And so on. Part of
what comes with the personal mastery of your own image is this. Its
problems are also yours!

If all this fails, you can make your image available to me and I'll take
a look.