[Cuis-dev] Question about package building and system classes

Mauro Rizzi mrizzi at fi.uba.ar
Tue Dec 1 14:37:43 PST 2020

Hello everyone!

I'm looking into using packages as ways to deliver feature packs and found
myself in an issue where I need to add a class variable to a system class.

I have no issue adding the variable to the class, the problem is when I try
to reflect this change on a package. So far the only way I see of adding or
removing things from a package is changing the category name of
methods/classes so they fit into the package file.

However I don't think it would be a good idea to move the whole Utility
class into a package system category just to add a single var.

So far i'm just considering either adding it through the addClassVarName:
method (after checking if it doesn't exist) in one of the methods that uses
that variable regularly or straight up injecting the code into the package
file so it's executed on fileIn.

Both ways seem like hacky workarounds that might actually cause problems
(for example if the package is later removed that variable won't be removed
at all).

Is there any other way to add the modification of the Utility class into my
package? Or is the idea that package modifications are identified and
tracked by the categories only?

And before you say changesets. Yes I know they can reflect this, but
packages allow me to work on different things on the system without having
to have a separate image for each or touching up the contents of the
changesets.

Kind regards,

*Mauro Rizzi*