[Cuis-dev] UI freeze fix

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Thu Jan 2 02:39:23 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 2:06 AM Casey Ransberger via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> If I’m reading this right (and I may well not be) this seems like a really
> great change.

It is an important change towards a more stable image. If I'm not wrong,
this was the only but that made the image hang.

> One of the things I ran into constantly when I was trying to make the
> system theme-able was that when I made a mistake, I’d hose my whole image,
> because when the debugger pops, it uses the very windowing system my
> mistake was in. Upshot: screen fills up with debugger windows and grinds to
> a halt. So, start with a clean image, load the changes I’d made up until
> the one that exploded, then try again.
>
> I'm not sure if this solves the problem you mention... because if when
showing the pre debug window there is a problem with the theme, you may get
another pre-debug window or debugger and so on.
The problem here is the circularity. To avoid this issue, when there is a
problem debugging we should use another stable/error free/self-contained
debugger.
But it would be great to know if at least in this case this problem does
not happen. If you can try it let us know!

Cheers!
Hernan.

> It was kind of a pain. This seems like a better idea.
>
> —Casey
>
> On Dec 26, 2019, at 6:52 AM, Hernan Wilkinson via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>  I uploaded three changesets that finally solve this issue.
>  The 3995 is the fix, if you look at it you will see it is a very simple
> change. The problem was when there was an error simulating code. A new
> process can not be created so the animatedUI ended up being nil. The change
> I made only removes the current animatedUI if the new one could be created.
>  3996 are a bunch of refactorings to make the stepIntoHome: a little bit
> clearer.
>  3997 opens the PreDebugWindow (as it used to be some time ago) for the
> code simulation error, cmd+. and warnings. I think it is better to show the
> pre debug window in those cases because: 1) opening the debuggers is
> confusing because sometimes you do not  realize it is a different debugger
> (specially newbies) 2) because if there is an error in the debugger,
> opening the debugger generates a loop but opening the pre debugger window
> can prevent that loop for happening.
>
>  Juan is going to check these changes, but it would be great if you can
> try them.
>  To reproduce the 3995, just step into when debugging
> "Debugger openContext: thisContext  label:'Code simulation error'
> contents: nil"
>
> Cheers!
> Hernan.
>
> --
>
> *Hernán WilkinsonAgile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching*
> *Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
> *Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*
> *site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*
> Address: Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*