[Cuis-dev] Cuis launcher script

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 07:06:03 PST 2020

Hi Eric,

I've been working on such a script myself, with the following differences:

- 0install.net integration of the script to ensure the right Python
version is downloaded / setup, depending on whether you're using Linux
32bits, Linux 64bits, Linux ARM, Windows, Mac OS, and that python is
named python or python3.

- More 0install integration to ensure that the right squeak VM for
your OS / cpu type is downloaded as part of the Cuis dependencies

- More 0install / script integration to ensure that the right version
of a Cuis package is downloaded according to whatever requirements
(version of package, etc...) when you load Cuis with that script and a
package name as argument.

- 0install integration to ensure that a specific (usually latest)
version of the Cuis image is downloaded (of the right type also, if
you are on a say Raspberry Pi)

- A few lines of patch to Cuis so that 0install can inject the install
path of a Cuis package into Cuis requirements resolution via an
environment variable

This approach also allow the handling of external C library
dependencies for Cuis packages, and the use of other environments than
github (I tried with github and Fossil), 0install taking care of all
the requirements specifications, downloading, caching, setting up the
environment, linking with the OS, tracking versions, injecting
development repositories, etc...

Regards,

Thierry