[Cuis-dev] Adding Single Font / Morphic Update

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Jan 23 10:27:47 PST 2020

Hi Eric,

On 1/21/2020 10:22 PM, Eric Gade via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been a while since I opened up Cuis, so forgive me if I'm out of
> the loop a bit. I have 2 unrelated questions:
>
> 1. How can I add a single font (otf) to the available fonts in the system?

Cuis can handle TrueType .ttf fonts, but not OpenType .otf fonts right
now. Maybe you can find a TrueType version of the font you need, or
maybe you can convert it. Most likely, extending TrueType support to
also handle OpenType is not a big deal if you want to give it a try.

> 2. What is the status of Morphic 3 and vector graphics?

With an updated Cuis setup, do:

World / Preferences... / Load extra fonts    "This installs TrueType and
VectorGraphics"
World / Preferences... / Set font... / CMU Concrete "or any other but
DejaVu (that is a Bitmap Font). DejaVu Sans is also ok"
If you have any FileList open, close it, and open it again if you want
(FileList is not updating all the panes to use the new default font).

Now all the text you see is done using instances of TrueTypeFont. All
the glyphs were built using VectorGraphics. If you want to see the whole
desktop as drawn by the VectorGraphics engine, evaluate:

self runningWorld backgroundImage displayAt: 0 at 0. (VectorCanvas onForm:
Display) fullDraw: self runningWorld. Display copy inspect.

The high performance OpenCL implementation of the VectorGraphics engine
is in the works. As I usually say at this time of the year, maybe this
is the year it will become usable enough to completely replace
BitBltCanvas and BitBltCanvasEngine... You can see the commits that
affect VectorGraphics.pck.st in GitHub, and see that I'm actually
working on it.