[Cuis-dev] Adding Single Font / Morphic Update

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Jan 25 06:27:13 PST 2020

Hi Eric,

This message is again with cc to you. I hope you get it this time (as I
just said in a separate message, I cleared the "nodupes" mail list
option for all subscribers, hoping to solve this lost messages problem).

(inline)

On 1/24/2020 7:45 PM, Eric Gade via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Thanks for sending along the message, Phil.
>
> Juan, just so I'm clear on this: when I boot up a fresh Cuis image,
> it's already using VectorGraphics to display text in the system? I'm
> asking because I was working in Squeak last week for a couple of days,
> then opened up Cuis and for whatever reason felt that the text looked
> so much crisper in Cuis. I was kind of surprised.

The fonts in Cuis are drawn with BitBlt, with the
anti-aliasing-text-with-BitBlt technique I developed many years ago and
was adopted by Squeak and Pharo. But the glyphs were built rather
recently. That's maybe why they look better. Rounded window corners and
gradients also look better in Cuis, because I made them so. Still they
are drawn using BitBlt.

Still, try the included TrueType fonts (drawn using VectorGraphics as I
said in the message Phil was kind enough to forward again). They look great.

> As for the rest of it, sounds good. I might make a changeset where
> there is a single method that can load a single font into the system
> from a filepath. At the moment it seems like you can only pass a
> directory.

Yep. That would be a nice contribution.