[Cuis-dev] Documenting Cuis

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Sun Jul 5 11:05:25 PDT 2020

Hi,

Cuis is documented with bits found there and there, it is not easy for
new comers. Several time, after searching on Cuis or asking on the list,
I felt like a want to write a small documentation notes on a recent
finding so it can be useful for other. So far I didn't and it is a
waste, pretty sure the same occurred to you as well.

We already have https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Learning-Cuis and also
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/CodeExamples with valuable contents!
If I miss any, please tell.

What about more structured documentation, like a book, (with content
related to LeaningCuis and CodeExample). We could each other insert our
knowledge in documentation notes into it. I think I could spend 30
min/day on such a project.

IMHO, on-line editing with capability to output printed book, may be
several ones, for Lulu will be a nice achievement by the community. It
will give more visibility to Cuis too.
Of course inserting documentation notes does not make a book but it
gives valuable *incentive**s* and *directions* to expend in valuable
documentation.

Bellow my suggestions for a table of contents. We could insert into
documentations note and expand it later as documentation paragraphs (we
can capitalize on the Squeak/Pharo by Examples too, for some Smalltalk
generic contents).

Any opinion? Suggestion for the table of contents? At which place could
we do the effort? Which tools to use?

Hilaire

*A. Basic Cuis-Smalltalk*

    _Getting started _

        Installing Cuis-Smalltalk
        Starting Cuis-Smalltalk
        Configuring Cuis-Smalltalk environment
        Writing your first script
        Introduction to the system class

    _Writing your first application_
             An excuse for a tour in Cuis world (Browser, Inspector)

    _Understanding the basic Cuis' model_

        Syntax
        *Statements as blocks and messages send*
        Basic classes
        Collections

    _Writing your second application
    _

        A second excuse for a tour in Cuis World (Debugger, Changset)

    _Cuising with Style (aka best practices)_

        Variable/Comments/Method/Scope/Refactoring...
        Common design patterns

*B. Advanced Cuis-Smalltalk*

    _Cuis-Smalltalk code management

    Going visual_