[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Jun 12 07:06:35 PDT 2020

On 6/11/2020 5:59 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Any one interested in discussing Dyanbook vision and how Cuis could be
> related?
>
> I wrote a couple of small articles exploring the Dynabook vision and
> education models.
>
> A first one, related to DrGeo
> https://blog.drgeo.eu/2018/07/dr-geo-and-dynamic-media.html
>
> (feel free to replace Pharo by Cuis, there are in the same league in
> the article)
>
> Hilaire
>

> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Hilaire,

I like very much the tone you give in that article. It is clear enough
for a wide audience, while not leaving out the important ideas.

I can not help wondering what is still missing for that very article,
together with the examples, to be an active essay itself, running in the
Smalltalk system. Erudite, Glamorous Toolkit, StyleTextEditor, Morphic
Projects are all pieces in that space. What else is needed? How can we
move forward?

The Dynabook and Active Essays ideas are extremely important for me.
Cuis is becoming mature enough to be a good base for them. (Although I
think that vector graphics is a must).

I think that, as you suggest, writing active essays will require, in
addition to some natural language, and perhaps topic specific jargon,
good Smalltalk skills. But I believe that a casual reader of an active
essay should be able to get most of the ideas without needing to
understand the code, in the same way we can get a good part of what a
technical book is talking about, without looking at the formulas.

People are trying to do OpenScience / ReproducibleResearch with Python
Jupyter Notebooks. We can do much better than that!