[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jun 14 15:57:43 PDT 2020

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 05:30:05PM -0300, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:

> If you haven't yet, read SqueakNews. It is not only really enjoyable,
> but also the best example of Dynabook content I've seen. And it was done
> 20 years ago! All the published issues are available at
> https://github.com/tansel/SqueakNews . As it is done in an old Squeak,
> using an older image format, you can't run them with a recent VM. If you
> have a Windows system, they run perfectly fine. If you have a Mac or
> Linux PC, it is really worth to install a Windows VM, using VMWare or
> similar, just to read this amazing stuff. It is really worth it.

Hi Juan,

You are so right! SqueakNews is wonderful, and it is well worth reading
it today. I am happy to learn that it is available on Github now. I still
have the original disks that were delivered to my physical mailbox many
years ago.

Along with the Windows VM, I am happy to add that Linux/Unix users can
still make a VM that runs SqueakNews, sound and all. Instructions are
at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354. And of course it will run the
Cuis v3 images from GitHub also.

Dave