[Cuis-dev] VectorEngine performance. Re: Please pull all repos! Re: StrikeFont cleanup

Philip Bernhart philip.bernhart at posteo.de
Tue Jun 16 11:42:27 PDT 2020

Hi Juan,

Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> writes:

> I learnt that the task scheduling and kernel
> startup overhead for OpenCL can be rather high, and only payed off if
> the OpenCL kernel has enough work to do to compensate for that.
> Given that I will need
> to rewrite that part in C with SIMD intrinsics, these new algorithms I
> spent months on, are useless.

So I supposed that would be ideally written in some kind of
Slang dialect. I'm sadly still not there yet where you would need the
Cuis Slang stuff to be. The current state is to generate a basic header,
the rough module representation and have some UI integration. What
you would need better support for newer interpreter proxy versions
and also representing them in the VM.

How would SIMD written in Slang look like? Maybe even going the
way of re-implementing Nile?

Cheers,
Philip