[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Wed Jun 17 08:28:45 PDT 2020

On 2020-06-17 06:53, Douglas Brebner via Cuis-dev wrote:

> In Smalltalk, we currently subdivide Computers into Images which are
> further subdivided into Objects. Images are as powerful as the
> surrounding computer but Objects are not as powerful as the
> surrounding Image.
>
> Why not?
>
> Can we make them so and would it help simplify the system even further?

One of Smalltalk's great assets is that it is made for how people do
things.

Being able to crash and image and replay one's work until "just before
the crash", being able to save an image on an Intel based Mac
workstation to a thumb drive and then continue on an Arm based notebook,
having great tools to find things, live debug & continue..

The _usage_ ecosystem is what keeps Smalltalk vibrant.  We still have
objects from the '80s because of this.  Software can outlive hardware by
a large margin.

I have looked at Erlang.  Live update and live failover are pole star
goals.

My questions are around the proper model to communicate with and the
support environment which I can explain and orient in.

As someone said "if you can afford to fail, you can do it in any
programming language.  We can't afford to fail".

The thing about computer mediated technology is that it allows us to
share.

I am delighted to hear the discussion around enabling support for people
to do and to share.

$0.02,
-KenD