[Cuis-dev] Politics of Smalltalk

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Sun Jun 28 04:11:47 PDT 2020

I’m generally of the persuasion that keeping politics the hell out of engineering creates a less toxic environment for people to exist in while trying to do work for free because passion.

Didn’t always have that point of view. Infamously. Not sure I’ll keep it, either.

I read the below, and saw what looks like a bug. Below, Philip Bernhart is thinking about things that have bothered me and compelled my thoughts from my beginnings as a programmer; I quit college because they wanted to shove two years of Ada down my throat before they’d let me work in C++, which I was already doing at home. I figured, Ada? *Great* choice of language if there are lives in your hands.

I didn’t want to make missile guidance systems or air traffic control systems, so I quit, took a job at a startup, ended up here. Wanted to make delightful things rather than deadly things. Somehow found Cuis:)

To find the bug: I’d recommend looking at the period of time In which ARPA was rebranded as DARPA and J.C.R. Licklider exited the ARPA equation. The D stands for “defense” and prior to “ARPA getting the D” (apologies to everyone who caught the English language euphemism, I promise I won’t do it again) the ARPA Community was free to pursue science for the sake of science.

During that period of time, a group of researchers at Xerox who had ARPA funding via Licklider started thinking about personal computing while studying the way children learn in order to create better future adults and we got Smalltalk as a side effect.

Smalltalk in more ways was an exploration of how much further we could take Logo, Ivan Southerland’s ideas about user interfaces, some Scandinavian ideas about how to organize simulations, and a clear romantic vision of a more interesting future for both the individual and civilization as a whole.

It’s true that ARPA did science for the US government, and the government weaponized some of the science ARPA did. But let’s not mistake the motives of scientists for the motives of their employers. Researchers, when they aren’t doing laundry, usually want to do research.

—Casey