[Cuis-dev] Politics of Smalltalk

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 09:31:27 PDT 2020

Just one correction: GPL does *not* require you to host your changes.  It
only requires you to offer it (optionally for a fee) to anyone you
distribute the changed binaries to.  One does have the option to make the
fee high enough to represent the nuisance it is for some people so long as
they allow anyone else to host it if they want.  Most choose to host it
either because they want to share their changes or processing requests is
more of a headache than it's worth for them.

While I agree that the Apple license was somewhat toxic (fortunately Apple
had no interest in Squeak at that time), I remember some of the discussions
around the time of the relicense and there was more than a whiff of profit
motive on the part of some in pushing for MIT over copyleft.  Not that I'm
complaining... MIT is 'better' for anyone with a profit motive, which
includes me for some of what I'm doing.