[Cuis-dev] Dynamic recompilation when platform changes?

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 10:48:15 PST 2020

This has been in the back of my mind for a while and some recent posts
about Sista getting closer to being ready for prime time got me thinking
about it again.  Some of the performance optimizations buried deep in
Cuis/Squeak are from a time when the VM was much slower than it is today.
>From time to time, I've thought about starting to go through and
identifying which primitives get called purely for performance reasons vs.
things that actually need to be done in the VM and seeing if the original
decisions still hold.  The thing that talks me out of it is that while X
may indeed be more performant today on 64-bit x86 in a spur VM, it may not
be on 32-bit ARM in a stack VM.

Another related issue is that there are approaches I will take when I'm on
an x86 desktop that I'll go in a completely different direction on with an
ARM SBC, primarily due to performance and memory differences.

So what I'm wondering is if there is any interest in having a class method
whose implementors are called on startup only when one of the major
platform variables (platform/architecture/VM type) changes?  Of course, I
can do this in a #startUp method.  I just wanted to see if there's any
wider interest in this at an image level before I go off and roll my own
thing.