[Cuis-dev] Handy ReferenceFinder extension and a question...

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 08:20:31 PDT 2020

Juan,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:45 AM Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> You say 'the literal 0 at 0 instance'.

> As you see being immediate, unique or a literal are three different things.
>
> The backtick syntax `0 at 0` creates a literal at compile time. But there
> is no guarantee of uniqueness. It just mimics what the compiler does
> when it finds 'a := 1000000000000000000000000', for instance.

Ah, then I misunderstood what you implemented.  I've been wondering for a
while about some oddness I've been experiencing... now I understand the
source of it.  I misunderstood and thought that `0 at 0` resulted in a
globally unique instance similar to true or #foo, not 3.  That's what my
original Point class>>zero proposal was going for.

> So yes, your tool will find all `0 at 0` literals. And they are ok.

Says you ;-)  I need globally unique instances.  No big deal, the literal
syntax at least greatly reduced the number of instances out there.  I can
use this approach as part of the solution to get it down to one when I
build my image.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Juan Vuletich