[Cuis-dev] Updates to TrueType: UTF-8 text display

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Mar 25 15:10:39 PDT 2020

Hi Folks,

The subject says it all. I've been working on TrueType support in Cuis,
and if you pull the repo and install all updates, you can try:

Preferences disable: #loadOnlyLatinGlyphData.
FontFamily readAdditionalTrueTypeFonts.
BitBltCanvas exampleAll.

Yes. You _must_ try it. And note how quickly #exampleAll runs the second
time you run it!

This is still far from usable unicode all over the system, but text
display is actually the hardest part. Note that this doesn't include
right-to-left text, ligatures, kerning pairs, and I guess many other
subtle details. Also, it is not integrated with Ken's great UniCodes
package. There is a lot of fun and work to be had!

Oh, I also had to tweak several packages: UniCodes, Erudite and
StyledTextEditor. Mariano and Ken, please pull & merge as required.

I hope to keep advancing VectorGraphics, to the point where it can
replace BitBlt if desired.

Play with it, take a look at the code, have fun. Any feedback is welcome.