[Cuis-dev] Language constructs

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri May 1 07:56:41 PDT 2020

On 5/1/2020 6:14 AM, Erik Stel via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Squeak and Pharo compatibility are no concern here (for me). I was
> referring to it as explanation that backticks did not arrive
> (historically) in Cuis because of possible ancestors/nephews/… My
> earlier question about naming referred to Pharo because IF possible I
> would like to write code that does not require much ‘porting’. But
> keeping compatibility is again not a major concern for me.

> Regards,
> Erik

I added backticks. I wanted a concise syntax for literals, and at the
time was using bash quite a bit. I realized that the way bash uses
backticks could be useful in Smalltalk too, and at least would be
familiar for some. So I did it.

Note that Squeak and Cuis also includes #[1 2 3 4] for literal
ByteArrayes. Inspired by that, I added #[1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0] for Float64Array.