[Cuis-dev] Language constructs

Erik Stel erik.stel at gmail.com
Fri May 1 08:20:35 PDT 2020

Hi,

I’m also in a bit of a limbo with respect to immutable. From the perspective of Ken’s explanation it sounds like a no-brainer: yes want this. From the ‘change everything’ in Smalltalk style, nothing should be really immutable. Sure, you could try to prevent certain things from changing by preventing the regular object interface from making chances, but what if I’m inside a debugger or an inspector and want to fiddle with instances I have at hand? Especially with collection like instances. And yes, you could probably create a new instance that would contain the same elements except for the one you want to change (and do a become: like magic), but I think other code might fail because of expecting immutable behaviour (copies in other processes not getting updated or what not). (And contrary to this, I’m happy Numbers and Symbols, etc are immutable, but I think the discussion was more aimed at other objects becoming immutable. Like arrays, but probably other ‘custom’ objects as well.)

Just to be clear: I’m not trying to criticise everything. I do try to challenge myself in thinking if things are okay the way they are and try to find reasoning (with your help at the moment ;-) for it.

I really like these discussions to get a better understanding of both history and current situation and our wants and needs.

Thx everyone for chiming in!
Erik