[Cuis-dev] MenuMorph modal

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri May 8 06:44:27 PDT 2020

Hi Hilaire,

On 5/6/2020 5:10 PM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hu Juan,
>
> Hum I am not sure what is remote control world stepping, you mean in
> the context of a modal menu?

I used the wrong word. What I mean is what I call "remote control" world
cycles. In Cuis, #doOneCycle is only called from PasteUpMorph>>mainLoop.
The World itself is in control.

In Squeak, (indirect) senders of #doOneCycleNowFor: include
DialogWindow, TileMorph, MenuMorph, AllPlayersTool, CategoryViewer,
EventRecordingSpace, and several tests. None of those should control the
World.

Still, the problem we have in Cuis is that a ModalMenu stops the world
while active. Maybe the solution is not to use modal menus and dialogs
at all.

> Anyway, I changed my code so a modal menu is not necessary anymore,
> then problem solved so far.

Great!

> You saw my tweet ;-)
> https://twitter.com/GNUDrGeo/status/1258023273713012738

Of course! Still, I wasn't sure if you hadn't gone the not-so-nice way
of implementing your own ModalMenu and cycling the World yourself. Good
that you didn't need to do that!