[Cuis-dev] left arrow "Terse Guide to Cuis"

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Mon May 11 13:58:21 PDT 2020

On Mon, 11 May 2020 11:20:13 -0500 (CDT)
stes via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at cuis-smalltalk.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running "Cuis" via : "squeak Cuis5.0-4112.image" and it seems to
> work fine.
>
> I'm relatively new to this, and I was reading the "Terse Guide to
> Cuis" (which is very useful), I see in the Help topic under
> "Assignment" :
>
> x _ 4.			"assignment (Cuis)"
>
> z := 7.			"assignment (ASCII)"
>
> The underscore _ displays in Cuis as a small cool "left arrow", I
> like it, very nice, really cool.
>
> Basically I think the "Terse Guide to Cuis" should also indicate in
> either "syntax" or "Assignment" that you can enter in the Workspace
> an underscore, and that it will display as this "left arrow" symbol.
>
> This may be a trivial issue to experienced users, but the Help "Terse
> Guide",
> or the Keyboard shortcuts should or could somehow clarify how to
> enter the left arrow from the keyboard (via the underscore character).

Hi David,

Welcome! Thanks for your suggestion. It helps to have a fresh pair of
eyes. One of the hardest things to do is explain the "obvious" but in
this case, as you point out, it is not obvious how to type the
assignment arrow. I'm going to make some changes to Terse Guide so
please watch for them and let us know if more is needed.

I hope someone else will chime in regarding Git and GitHub :)

 - Dan Norton