[Cuis-dev] Documentation for the different kinds of divisions

Andres Valloud ten at smallinteger.com
Mon May 25 22:25:50 PDT 2020

Hi,

> No time to answer to the whole thread now...
> FYI, Eliot has resurrected fdlibm math library for Terf, so we should
> benefit from platform independent results and faithfully rounded results
> soon... It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

Hopefully we won't end up in a situation where, in order to have
platform independence for the one customer, we end up with a system that
is different from everything else, for every user, in yet another way.
We'll see what happens, when it happens.

> For ratio:/residue: I agree, i fall short of vocabulary... It would be
> named remainder: and quotient: to ressemble iso names, but proximity to
> quo/rem disqualified this choice.

I still think centerDiv: and centerMod: make more sense than those
because they are related to div: and mod: (the former define rounding,
the latter define truncation).

Andres.