[Cuis-dev] Recent changes to Encoder (update 4156?)

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed May 27 01:13:25 PDT 2020

I recall running into an issue re: Encoder changes Hernan did a while back
and now I'm having a nearly identical issue related to the recent changes.

Specifically: multi-ranges and the brittleness of that code in that if you
don't provide the exact right hacked version of the 'range' (i.e. sometimes
it's an Interval, sometimes it's a collection of Interval), things will
fail.  So now I'm having a problem after the latest changes with
#noteSourceRange:forNode: complaining because I'm passing it a collection
of ranges where it now expects a single range.  I'm only passing it a
collection of ranges because the *previous* changes to Encoder would break
if you only passed in a single range.  Of course, if I change my code back
to passing a single range (i.e. undoing my fix for the last Encoder
change), it breaks things elsewhere where it's expecting a collection of
ranges.  Essentially the solution that I used previously was to create a
MessageNode with a sourceRange: parameter that was a collection... that no
longer appears to be viable.

Can this be either cleaned up (i.e. auto-detect or just use multi-ranges
everywhere) or better document (and stick with!) the approach?

Thanks,
Phil