[Cuis-dev] Bee Smalltalk Dynamic Metacirculat Runtime [WAS Re: Cuis 68000 64bit V3 image ?]

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Apr 25 13:44:29 PDT 2021

On 2021-04-25 12:58, Boris Shingarov via Cuis-dev wrote:
..
> I think it would have many more far-going implications than just
> bootstrapping a given Smalltalk from source, or mini-images.

Yes.  One interesting idea is to port libraries/VMs by just
cross-nativizing a new nativizer.

As methods are bytecode compiled, the loader notes that the "native"
code is for another CPU kind and just re-nativizes the bytecodes for the
current/host CPU architecture.  Instant port!

There is also room for objects describing hardware capabilities -- what
uboot does with device trees.  Describing a CPU architecture is a
natural part of this view.  Making visible the hardware capabilities
(and interfaces) would allow Smalltalkers to "feel the bits between
their toes".

Much fun to be had here!

:)
-KenD