[Cuis-dev] Bee Smalltalk Dynamic Metacirculat Runtime [WAS Re: Cuis 68000 64bit V3 image ?]

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Apr 26 08:35:24 PDT 2021

Hi Philip,

Things take time to develop.

I had a manager once that when someone came up with a design idea would
take a hammer to it to see if it held up.

I think he killed a number of good ideas on their way to being born.

Exposing half-baked ideas takes a certain amount of courage and it helps
to have an understanding, supportive community to give space for
development -- not expecting high levels of refinement at early stages.

With Smalltalk, I think we are "brainstorming" with code.  We get to do
experiments at relatively low cost.  Not all children grow up to be
somebody, but the potential is there.

We do want to kill off the obvious mutant failures, but not too early!

WRT Bee, things are just coming to light and we have a scattering of
people from Smalltalk/X, VisualWorks, OpenSmalltalk, and Cuis just
expressing interest and finding each other.

I think we all have romantic ideas of a bootstrapable Smalltalk runtime
which runs native and supports multi/cross-dialect development.

It will take a lot of work to be able to cash this check.  Much will be
tried and thrown away.

That is OK.  It is just how life is.

Confusion, according to Sufi philosophy, is the beggining of
enlightenment because it makes you question things you thought you knew.
  We hope this is a stage we go through on our way to best outcomes.

Good on ya,
-KenD