[Cuis-dev] I think i found a bug in the debugger

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 05:21:29 PDT 2021

On 8/7/21 1:35 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Nicola,
>  I'm sorry! I misunderstood your email! I read the subject with the
> word "bug" and then went directly to the image you pasted and I
> thought "it is not a bug, it is how it is intended to work" :-)
No problem ;)

>  I agree that on this example, it would be better to see 'nil' than
> just nil because it is confusing but for sure there is a reason not to
> do it that way... I mean, Smalltalk is a mature system and for sure
> there is a reason for showing strings that way, sadly I do not
> know/recall that reason.
>  Anyway, it is not a bug. It would be interesting to see the behavior
> of the change Gerald suggested... maybe the reason for that "if" was
> only "performance" (why create a new string if we already have one)
> and if so, changing that behaviour would be an improvement from the UI
> point of view as you suggested.
>
>  Cheers!
>  Hernan

For the moment I leave to you, Gerald and other experienced programmers
further considerations.
I can't see a very strong reason to display things that way in the
debugger ... still, i am a novice.

I prefer not to patch the core and diverge from master for the moment.
Maybe in 1 months or so.
Reason is, when I post to the list i want to be 100% sure you see what i
see.

Bye
Nicola

--- cut previous ---