[Cuis-dev] VM fb-dev

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Aug 8 12:41:58 PDT 2021

On 2021-08-08 10:16, Joseph Turco wrote:

> I got the VM to work in frame buffer mode. I noticed the color is a bit
> off and the window buttons have black squares around them, so I guess
> something isint setup right. The mouse works, but the keyboard is still
> typing into console, with a cursor flashing in the bottom left of the
> screen (like a bit of the console is poking out). If you have any
> advice to fix that I'd appreciate it many thanks :)

Attached are replacement files for those in
opensmalltalk-vm/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/

If you replace the files, then do the "mvm" "y", the vm-display-fbdev.so
library should be rebuilt.

These files update the help text ("squeak --help") for framebuffer to
what is actually there as well as allowing the keyboard device binding
to work (/dev/input/event?).

ls -lasth /dev/input/by-id

should show the binding names required.
e.g.
export SQUEAK_KBDEV=/dev/input/event0
if
usb-Logitech-USB_Receiver_if01_event_kbd -> ../event0

The "box around button" effect is, I believe, a figment of the quality
of the framebuffer library.  I believe I saw this in early experiments
on Raspberry Pi, but do not see it on LePotato.  I'll have to fire up a
RasPi to check. .. Nope.  Looks good on Raspberry Pi 3 on Raspberry Pi
OS.  No idea.  Have to look around.

The blinking cursor shows through because I did not "capture" it via the
evdev support.  It is a bit complex to figure out, does not bother me
much, and reminds me I am in framebuffer mode.  Useful when I forget and
fire up a framebuffer display which takes turns overwriting with X11 if
I have started that as well.

If anyone want to look at this..

HTH,
-KenD