[Cuis-dev] 'Open -> File list' hangs Cuis --- [latest updates and VM]

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 02:30:44 PDT 2021

Hi guys,

I am back the the keyboard.

so, FileList now opens but I see problems with this new setup.

What follows are facts mixed with opinions based on my current level of
experience,
so don't take them as critics, always as suggestions for improvement ;)

1] I see by default the FileList opens now on '/' ;, this is very much
undersirable
as Cuis can't `cd` its base working directory, the center of its universe
is always the directory containing the VM and the Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev
directory
so FileList should definitely open itself in that position.

2] I need often to write in my notes this statement 'the directory
containing
Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev'. We should call it in one way, let's say
'cuis-project'.
the humble lowercase name suggests the user its name is modifiable at
pleasure.
At the moment the doc reccomends 'My-Project'. that is too vague IMO,
It is true that nearby it Juan says 'You can call it Cuis-Smalltalk',
but trust me,
if you don't write things as commds, 50% of users will not read them.
Also 'Cuis-Smalltalk' is too similar to 'Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev', it is
uppercase so
it looks like it is an important name and it does not convey the idea it is
a project directory, so you can have many of them: cuis-projec-foo,
cuis-project-bar etc. etc.

3] This is a real problem. Opening FileList at '/' I can't reach anymore
cuis-project,
it is beyond the 50 entry limits.

4] Usability. Since Cuis fileout stuff in Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev and most
probably
then we load ".st" files they are into 'cuis-project' it is annoying to
have to
parse all the directory tree (which can be complex) to arrive at
'cuis-project'.

5] This about Gerald observation about missing file systems. Yes,
absolutely,
I have a few of them, sshfs and CIFS. Putting Cuis in servers and office
pc, this will be
the rule more than an exception. All of the environment I worked into
have a CIFS or a
NFS. Some of these filesystems can contain a lot of Teras of data which
are of absolute no interest to Cuis,
I reccomend you don't try by default to parse those trees, it can give
thousands of problems:
they can be unavailable for high load or part of them can be unavailable
to a certain user
for user policy permissions.

6] For all of these reasons I would reccomend to make FileList start at
'cuis-project' by default, and by default, ignore what is outside it. It
goes
there if the user asks it. If the user finds problems he knows it is not
Cuis fault.

7] If [6] not feasible I would reccomend putting a push button into FileList
saying 'go to cuis-project' and this bring the user where he wants to be
with probability near to 1
without traversing all his ugly directory tree and seeing those annoying
hundreds of hidden directory.

bye
Nicola