[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Preferences Menu With Better Feedback

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Tue Aug 31 12:24:35 PDT 2021

On 8/31/21 6:22 PM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> On 8/31/2021 10:50 AM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> If you load the VectorGrahics package, many of the nice bitmap
>> icons are replaced with much simpler circles,
>> that show some visual feed back on mouse-over.
>>
>> I suppose, if we want the old icons back,
>> we need to provide some nice vector graphics/SVG icons
>> and probably we need to implement a cache for scaled
>> bitmaps computed from those graphics.
>>
>> I am not the graphics and numerical algorithms expert.
>>

>> Just my 0.02€,
>>
>> Gerald
>
> Before Casey Ransberger and I built the current look and feel, Cuis was
> still looking like Squeak 3.7 (from where it was forked). This was about
> 10 years ago, and most platforms still used gradients and
> photorrealistic art. So, we followed suit.
>
> These days, this already makes Cuis look a bit dated. So, for the window
> buttons, in VectorGraphics, I chose to build simpler, modern looking,
> scalable icons. I'm not really sure we want a full set of SVG icons. For
> example, I'm running MacOS BigSur, Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 2019. They
> hardly use any icons in menus at all.

IMHO readability-wise the menu icon's are not that important.
They symbols are just too small.
I just like their consistency and it's just pleasant
to look at them. I would love to have an SVG version of them.
No clue, if this can be done in some automatic way.

When it comes to the new window controls, I would
like -- disregarding what Apple, Microsoft & Co do -- the
symbols to be permanently visible in gray circles.
On mouse over the should show their color.
This has a simple reason: It's easier for me to
associate symbols with a meaning than colors.

I know, if I really want this, I can
implement this as an option.

As always, just my 2 shekels,

Gerald