[Cuis-dev] Quick print & quick implementors

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Dec 1 11:05:11 PST 2021

On 12/1/2021 1:15 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> As if written so often:
>
> Now that I had some time to think about it:
>
> Actually I would like to have both features available
> in every CodeWindow, alas we are running out of portable hot keys.
> (More on that topic below)
>
> Both features should also be available as menu items.
> Additionally having the "print to hover help" bound to
> a key would be great, Ctrl-Shift-P comes to my mind.
> Actually -- Cuis then becoming more Pharo like -- I suggest
> to bind the "print to hover help@ to Ctrl-P and
> the old "print to insert" to Shift-Ctrl-P,
> but I don't know whether this too drastic a change.
> If the community is undecided in this point, we can do
> what we always do in such a case: We should add a preference.
>

> Now some words/rants about modifier-keys and mouse-buttons:
> I have no idea why the VM does not map the Windows-key on
> to `macOptionKey`, that would be immensely helpful.
> The same goes for the Menu-key (I am aware that this might
> give Mac-Users some ulcers).
> Additionally I would like to see the non-standard-buttons
> on my mice/trackballs reported somehow. Again this
> is not present on a Mac, but they usual tablet lacks
> all these features ...
>
> Enough complaints:
> * Will the community (and Juan) support me, when
> I try to add these to the X11-display driver?*

Sure, unless it means giving a less uniform experience across
platforms... I mean, features that are available on some platforms and
not on others must be kept to a minimum.

It is ok to add new features a platform at a time, and use them from
applications, but the base image can only rely on the widely supported ones.