[Cuis-dev] Renaming several fundamental Morph classes

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 10:30:54 PST 2021

On 12/21/21 20:02, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> It has become apparent that some class names I chose some time ago are
> not meaningful enough. The most confusing is the meaning I assumed for
> "Widget". Decades ago, Widget meant "UI element in some library".
> Today it means "Anything the user can interact with". So, I want to do
> the following renames:
>
> MovableMorph    -> MorphicWidget
> WidgetMorph      -> GUIControlMorph
> KernelMorph       -> SpecialMorph
> WorldMorph        -> MorphicWorld
> PasteUpMorph   -> PlaygroundMorph
>
> I hope these convey meaning more effectively.
>
> There will be impact on some packages. I have changesets ready to be
> applied for all packages in repos in the Cuis-Smalltalk organization.
>
> Before applying all this:
> Do you like the new names? Do you know better ones to suggest?
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks,

Hi all !

I still had not much time to invest into Morphic but this are my almost
a priori opinions:

. In general i would not rename classes if there isn't a significant
divergence in code.
A big chunk of old code will stop working. These names for me are
familiar from my Squeak time,
I am a bit sad to let them go. On the other side, If our classes are
very much divergent from
Squeak then to change name is the right thing to do.

. I would keep for sure the "morph" part at the end for all names (as
already suggested)

. WidgetMorph wasn't it just a rectangle ? So why not RectangularMorph ?
Or maybe BasicMorph
or SimpleMorph. "GUIControlMorph" sounds to me something with sliders
and buttons.

. I have a strong dislike for "playgroundXXX" . I don't like it in Pharo
Workspace, i don't like it in Apple products.
I think the word "play" should be reserved to children or recreative
activity. (ok, for sound let it be).
Python was intended for children but i don't remember any "play" in
their modules. There is no play, when
you code you need to think, it is no joke, things must work. I am not
sure I can suggest a great name
because i hardly remember the last time i used the morph but it could
be: MergeMorph,
CollectiveMorph, RegionMorph, PluralMorph, EnsableMorph,
CollectionMorph, CollageMorph
BinderMorph, HomeMorph, JoinMorph, AggregateMorph ... something that
gives the idea that Morph lives together there.

just opinions ;)

bye
Nicola