[Cuis-dev] Renaming several fundamental Morph classes

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Tue Dec 28 10:35:19 PST 2021

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Le 27/12/2021 à 14:40, Hernan Wilkinson via Cuis-dev a écrit :
> >  I think it would be great to avoid using the word Morph as a suffix,
> > if we compare that hierarchy with Collection, we do not see any of its
> > subclasses (but a few) with Collection as a suffix. Array is Array and
> > not ArrayCollection, Dictionary is not DictionaryCollection, etc. When
> > having to add a suffix to subclasses' names I see it as a lack of a
> > metaphor or an analogy with something "real"(*) that would help to
> > select better names. I think that having a metaphor or analogy would
> > help a lot to name these classes. I'm not sure which metaphor to use
> > but maybe we can start a new thread to look for it :-)
>
> I can't agree less with you. How will it looks like without Morph suffix?

thanks! :-)

> Morph
>      Moveable/Placed
>      Boxed/Frame/Box
>      PasteUp
>      World
>      Pluggable

The thing is that Movable or Boxed are names that do not say much about
what they represent... that is why we need Morph as a suffix.
I was thinking something more related to physical stuff... for example, if
we use the desktop metaphor, where we put different papers with things we
write on them and so on, we could use names such as: Desktop (for
WorldMorph), Collage (for Morph), Cutout (for BoxedMorph) and so on.
The thing is that no metaphor will be enough, I think, because we are in a
domain where everything is "new", there is no direct relationship with
things that already exist (something that does happen when modeling a bank
with accounts and customers and so on). We could talk with a painter or
plastic artist to see if we can find a relationship with the things they
use in their daily work, but even if we do it, it will be in the
structure/format axis, none of those things handle keyboard events or mouse
events and so on... but at least we could have a metaphor in one axis that
would help to understand the meaning of those clases.
I'm sorry to add more confusion :-)

Cheers!
Hernan.

> This will make a lot of change though, and break a lot. Namespace will
> be a nice to have. May be too much changes to catch at once.
>
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
> http://blog.drgeo.eu

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson