[Cuis-dev] Hello, new Cuis smalltalk user here!

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:54:10 PDT 2021

Joseph,

I can't think of a good way to explain the specific differences as a lot
has changed.  I'm pretty sure that none of the open source options out
there, despite their claims, *really* offers 100% Blue Book compatibility.
Cuis (and Squeak) probably offer reasonable to very good compatibility
through chapter 16.  There may be some differences here and there, but this
is pretty core stuff that I don't believe has changed much.  Chapter 17 on
is mostly going to be very different and not something you're likely to
find in today's implementations.  Conceptually, most of the functionality
still exists but when Squeak moved to Morphic most things got
renamed/restructured/rethought.  In the 25 years since, things have
continued to evolve even further away from those later chapters in the book.

If you really want to try to follow the Blue Book, I think the Smalltalk-78
Javascript implementation at https://smalltalkzoo.thechm.org/HOPL-St78.html
might be the closest thing out there.

Thanks,
Phil