[Cuis-dev] Selecting Morph

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Jun 25 06:01:55 PDT 2021

Hi Hilaire,

On 6/22/2021 4:42 PM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> For DrGeo GUI user  experience[1], I need to select morphs at a given
> distance of the hand.
>
> Practically, it means to select morphs intersecting with a circle
> whose center is the hand. I also want to select the morphs completely
> overlapped by other morphs, so user gets the choice to select the
> morph he want.
>
> Is it possible with vector graphics?

Great questions! Most likely what we have today is not enough, but this
is a good time to improve.

Right now, if you have several overlapping morphs and you get the halo
menu and select "embed into", you get a submenu with the overlapped
morphs so you can select one of them. (drag the main menu a bit so it
doesn't cover your morphs, and you can see better).

Besides, you can "grab" most morphs with the mouse, just like windows.

Something we don't have is a concept of "selected morphs", like regular
OSs let you select several icons in a desktop, or several files in a
file browser.

So, what is that you are in need for?
- The ability to select several morphs at a time (without grabbing
them), so you can later do something with them? (this could include ways
to add / remove morphs from "current selection")
- The same, but just one morph? (this could include ways to cycle "next
morph" "previous morph" "child" "parent", etc, until reaching the
desired morph)
- Just choose several morphs in a "modal" way?
- The same, but just one morph? (This is what is possible with the
"embed into" menu option)
- Something completely different?

This is the perfect time to think about useful mouse / keyboard gestures
and their effect on morphs. Anybody with any experience using
applications for drawing / painting / cad / desktop publishing, please
chime in, and suggest the ways you know about and like. If there is any
literature on the subject, it will be useful too.

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1] When the user need to select point, segment, line circle with the
> mouse.
>
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu