[Cuis-dev] Why Workspace>>#allowStylingWithEmphasis returns false?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Mar 22 12:47:05 PDT 2021

On 3/18/2021 6:27 PM, Hernan Wilkinson via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>  when typing a class in the workspace, it appears in normal text but
> when typing it in a browser it appears in bold. That is kind of
> misleading to new smalltalkers and it was not like that a few versions
> ago.
>  I traced the problem back to allowStylingWithEmphasis that returns
> false for workspaces, but I do not understand its comment :-)
>
>  I'd like to have classes highlighted the same way in a browser and a
> workspace, but I'm not sure what will be broken if
> Workspace>>#allowStylingWithEmphasis returns true... Could you take a
> look?
>
> Thanks!
> Hernan.
>
> --
> <https://10pines.com/>
>

>   Hernán Wilkinson
>

>     Software Developer, Teacher & Coach
>
> Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina
>
> +54 11 6091 3125
>
> @HernanWilkinson

Hi Hernán,

That method used to answer true, and styling in workspaces was as you
prefer. But bold or italic text might use different amount of space than
regular text, and all text usually needed to be reflown during edition.
Large workspaces with a lot of content became sluggish. So, I disabled
emphasis (bold or italic) in styled code in workspaces.

There are several options here. We could make that a preference (that
could be on by default in CuisUniversity). Or we could just disable it
also on browsers.

Opinions?