[Cuis-dev] VectorEnginePlugin (was Re: UK Smalltalk User Group meeting - Wednesday March 31st)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Mar 25 08:11:59 PDT 2021

Hi Bernhard,

On 3/23/2021 3:31 PM, Bernhard Pieber via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I have never been far. :-)

:-)

> Thank you for the quick answer. I could follow all the examples. This is great!

Cool. Nice to know.

> Interestingly Display extent is reporting 1792 at 1120 as the display resolution on the Retina display of my MacBook Pro. This is 7/10 of the real resolution of 2560 at 1600. Any idea why that might be the case?

Yes. That is an issue of the OpenSmalltalk VM, and any application that
does not declare to be "Retina Aware". For these, MacOS uses a lower
resolution framebuffer that is scaled up by the operating system. This
affects (at the very least) all systems that run on the OpenSmalltalk
VM, i.e. Squeak and Pharo will also answer that extent. There is some
limited possibility of modifying this "emulated display" size in System
Preferences / Displays / Resolution, although none of them gives true
native resolution.

I use the EasyRes application, to set the mac display to true native
resolution. But I only use it this way while using Cuis, because
everything else looks terribly small. Amazingly this is not needed when
running Cuis in a Windows or Linux VMWare VM in the Mac, so this is also
a possible alternative.

The real fix would entail fixing the VM. I think it shouldn't be too
hard to add a command line option or a VM setting of some kind to tell
MacOS we really know what to do with the pixels we are given!

> A few things I noticed. I am sure you know most of these already.
> Resizing windows with the mouse does not seem to work anymore. I can resize using the window menu. However, the world menu does not work on the former extent of the window.
> When I make a workspace smaller using the zoom halo button the last line disappears.

Thanks for reporting. I'll look into this. But this is new and still
experimental. It might take a little time until everything works as
smoothly as in the BitBlt based world.

> Thanks for working on this!

My pleasure!