[Cuis-dev] A few missing things & porting stuff to Cuis

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Wed Mar 31 06:00:11 PDT 2021

Hi Benoit!
 As Luciano mentioned, we try to keep the Cuis core image small and have
packages for things that are important but not crucial.
 There is a cuis repo called Numerics where we usually put the packages
related to math stuff. I think you could put the one for ScaledDecimal
there or of course keep it as your repo.

 Cheers!
 Hernan

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:26 AM Luciano Notarfrancesco via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi, I think if you need to port ScaledDecimal for your project it would be
> nice to put it in a separated ScaledDecimal package, so anyone who needs it
> can use the package. We do this with Complex for example.
>
> About random generators, I use the default one (ParkMiller93Random), have
> been using it extensively for years and never had the need to use a
> different one. But again it is great to have alternatives, and could be
> useful to have this in a package too. In Cuis the random number generators
> are extensible, so it is easy to create a new subclass of Random that
> implements a different algorithm. The disadvantage I see with the algorithm
> you propose is that it uses 64 bit arithmetic and would end up using
> LargeIntegers in 32 bit platforms, right? About gaps, in Cuis we
> implemented the random number generators as sort of black boxes that output
> a number of uniformly distributed bits each time, and we can concatenate
> them to generate random bitstrings of any size, so there are no gaps when
> generating Floats or arbitrarily large integers (see Random>>nextInteger:).
> Of course there could be loss of random qualities if you use it to generate
> too big bitstrings, but the period is large enough and it never was a
> problem for me.
>

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 4:26 PM Benoit St-Jean via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why ScaledDecimal is not present in Cuis? Would
>> anyone be interested if I did port it to Cuis?
>>
>> I was thinking about porting the MySQL driver to Cuis (hence the need
>> for ScaledDecimal) as a nice project to experiment with Cuis.  Anyone
>> interested by such a port?
>>
>> I noticed you have a few random number generators in Cuis.  Would anyone
>> like me to port my version of SplitMix64
>> (https://github.com/bstjean/SmalltalkStuff/tree/master/SplitMix64) to
>> Cuis ? It's a RNG used to generate very large numbers that doesn't
>> suffer the usual gaps created with 32 bit arithmetic.
>>
>> P.S. Very nice job guys!
>>
>> --
>> -----------------
>> Benoît St-Jean
>> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
>> Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
>> Pinterest: benoitstjean
>> Instagram: Chef_Benito
>> IRC: lamneth
>> GitHub: bstjean
>> Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
>> "A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)
>>
>> --

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer, Teacher & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson