[Cuis-dev] VMMaker and Linux include order.

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon May 10 09:45:12 PDT 2021

Hi,

For me on Solaris (SUN cc) and OpenIndiana (gcc) the generated code compiles on the classical VM and on the opensmalltalk VM.

in the community provided handbook

http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/squeak/index.html

I've put up a screenshot of a SVGElementMorph examplesMagician

The nice  thing about SVG in Cuis seems to me that it works without plugin,
although some slower, but it works.

The screenshot is  taken with the VectorEnginePlugin loaded, which speeds up,
some operations, which without plugin also work, but slower.

I agree that the best approach would be that the plugin would be in the VMMaker repo,
although that in itself is a different issue than the #include issue.

My understanding of the #include issue is that the classical VM uses cmake,
and the opensmalltalk vm uses GNU configure, autoconf, because opensmalltalk was forked,
from the classical VM, at a time when the classical VM was also using GNU configure,
before it converted to cmake.

Anyway this is just my understanding, I've only looked recently at the VMs and Cuis.

Note that GNU configure has an impact on #include

https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.67/html_node/Configuration-Headers.html

as the gnu autoconf manual explains there is a strict order what they think is right
(for them) when you have HAVE_CONFIG_H set to 1.

#ifndef __sq_config_h
#define __sq_config_h

#ifdef _FEATURES_H
#error This file was included too late. Please make sure it is included earlier
#endif

The #error may be a check to see #include order is correct from autoconf perspective.

David Stes