[Cuis-dev] VMMaker and Linux include order.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 10 13:54:57 PDT 2021

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 08:38:13AM +0200, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi all, Hi Juan,
>
> Linux include order was fixed in this VM branch:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/fix_include_order
>
> Alas the branch contains only the generated
> code; the actual fix is in VMMaker.
> Therefore the VectorEnginePlugin generated
> by Cuis' VMMaker, does not compile
> when pasted  into the right directory
> of the VM build-tree.
>
> Is there a chance that you or some other
> competent person gets Cuis' VM-Maker fixed?
>

> Thanks and Best Regards,
>
> Gerald

Hi Gerald, hi Juan,

I also am watching this issue with interest, and I will do whatever I can
to make sure that the VectorEnginePlugin is integrated with the VMs.

At this point, the fix_include_order branch has not yet been integrated
into the main Cog branch. I would recommend making no changes to the plugin
until that has happened.

Meanwhile the plugin itself can be compiled on earlier versions of the
Cog branch (it does not matter, the compiled plugin is the same).

If you use the generated VectorEnginePlugin.c from Cuis, it is equivalent
to the source that is generated from VMMaker.oscog (the VMMaker version
used for opensmalltalk-vm) or from VMMaker (the VMMaker version used for
the classic interpreter VM). VectorEnginePlugin is written in a very
portable style, and the compiled plugin will be essentially the same
regardless of how it was translated to C or compiled.

So my advice is be patient, wait for the fix_incude_order issue to be
sorted out on opensmalltalk-vm, and then we can update the plugin as
needed.

Dave