[Cuis-dev] pluginApiVersion

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri May 21 09:35:17 PDT 2021

Hi,

I've regenerated the VectorEnginePlugin on Solaris and OpenIndiana.

This seems to work for the opensmalltalk VM(s) and the classical context interpreter v3 image VM.

On a 4-core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU desktop Cuis SVG on image 4607 feels fast (scale/rotate etc.).

Very nice.  I also like the design of this plugin that SVG basically can work without plugin,
the plugin just improves performance.

That seems an important design feature, as the plugin is portable and does not rely on any external libraries.

Two remarks:

 1) for some reason I don't have any #include problem when compiling

    this is the GNU configure config.h problem which does not seem to apply to me

    so for me no change to VMMaker was required, I simply ran:

     ChangeSet installNewUpdates.
     Feature require: 'VMMaker'.
     Feature require: 'VectorEnginePlugin'
     VectorEnginePlugin translateInDirectory: DirectoryEntry  currentDirectory doInlining: true

  the generated code with #include "sqConfig.h" after #include <stdio.h> compiles for me

 2) when using my old plugin from April 17

$ squeak -nojit tiger-v3.image
ioFindExternalFunctionIn(pluginApiVersion, f7649d28):
  ld.so.1: squeakvm: pluginApiVersion: can't find symbol

Note that with the new plugin, I don't have that warning or error.

However it raises the issue of versioning of the VectorEngine plugin.

Regards,
David Stes