[Cuis-dev] Updates to VectorGraphics and precompiled MacVM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 22 10:37:19 PDT 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 10:56:13AM -0300, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Recently, I've been working on improving the VectorGraphics plugin. I
> added a new primitive that will help quick display of SVG icons. Please
> pull all repos.
>
> An updated Mac VM is available at
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6xzdebt158ha1cc/AAAW2LxSYHOSZ8PTfhC9XIs0a?dl=0 .
>
> If you are able to build VMs, please try generating VectorEnginePlugin
> from the updated VMMaker and Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev repos, build for your
> platform, test, and share the precompiled VMs with us.

(re-sending this with a compressed attachment to stay within the
mailing list limit)

Here a few things I have tried so far with the latest plugin:

- Installed the latest Packages/Features/VectorEnginePlugin.pck.st in
a Squeak image that I use for maintaining the classic interpreter VM.

- Defined Float32Array as subclass of FloatArray, because my older image
still uses FloatArray as the 32 bit float array class (not a problem,
I am just noting it for completeness). The image also has the patch
for include file order that will probably be needed for opensmalltalk-vm
in the near future.

- Generated the plugin, and compiled the VM and plugin (interpreter VM).
Result: The vector morph examples work in the V3 Cuis image, although
I still get some issues including VM crashes when I try rotating windows
(cause TBD, I have not had much time for debugging).

- Copied the generated source into my opensmalltalk-vm directories,
and compiled the 64 bit Spur VM with VectorEnginePlugin. I used the
"fix_include_order" branch of opensmalltalk-vm, which I expect will
be merged sometime soon. Result: everything seems to work fine,
no issues.

I also made a recent update in Squeak trunk so that VectorEnginePlugin
can be easily loaded from Cuis GitHub into Squeak images
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2021-May/215536.html)
but it is great to see stand-alone plugin building in Cuis, I really
hope we will see more of this :-)

I am attaching a copy of the VectorEnginePlugin.c that I generated just
in case anyone needs to check it. But it should be essentially the
same as the code generated from Cuis.

Dave