[Cuis-dev] Cuis Smalltalk Issues

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Tue Nov 23 04:18:35 PST 2021

Hi Mark,
 By default Cuis creates a .user.changes file every time to start the
image, but you can disable that (as I did :-) ).
 Also, by default it creates a .log file every time there is an error and
you can disable that too, as I did :-)
 Here is how to disable that:

Preferences disable: #autoNumberUserChanges.
Preferences disable: #logDebuggerStackToFile.

Cheers!
Hernan.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 4:47 PM Mark via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>
wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> This helps.
>
> One more question about files. Cuis seems to generate a ton of both
> “.changes” and “.log” files that clutter the “Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev” folder:
>
> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev % ls *.changes | wc -l
>       54
> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev % ls *.log | wc -l
>      868
>

> Is that normal? What’s the proper way to prune them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> — Mark
>
> On Nov 22, 2021, at 6:27 AM, Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> On 11/16/2021 2:46 PM, Mark via Cuis-dev wrote:
>
> Hi Juan,
>
> Thanks for the detailed response — and more insight into the “Smalltalk
> Philosophy.” That helps a lot.
> (As I mentioned in another post: Chapter 9 — Code Management (
> https://cuis-smalltalk.github.io/TheCuisBook/Code-Management.html)
> cleared up some things)

> OBSERVATION #2
>
> If the “preferred” mode of development is to not save the image, but
> rather use packages, then I’ve noticed that the “Change Sorter” doesn’t
> always show all the changes reflected in “*.changes” files.
>
> I see changes files with names like:
>
> Are these “original/downloaded” change files?
> Cuis5.0-4963-v3.changes
> Cuis5.0-4963.changes
>
> Are these created after I entered my initials?
> Cuis5.0-4963-mdj.changes
> Cuis5.0-4963-mdj.user.nnn.changes
> Cuis5.0-4963-mdj.user.changes
>
> Are these created *before* my initials are known to the system?
> Cuis5.0-4963.user.nnn.changes
> Cuis5.0-4963.user.changes
>

> When I open the “Change Sorter”, it only shows:
> "4964-CuisCore-AuthorName-2021Nov16-09h29m”
> “Install-Theme-Themes”
>
> Which do not *obviously* (to me! 😉) correspond to the filenames.
>
> Again, probably n00b issues that will make more sense over time. 🙂
>

> The essential idea you need to be aware of when learning about all this is
> that Smalltalk uses files, but it is not file-based.
>
> What this means is that all the tools in the Smalltalk image (with the
> only exception of FileList and FileContentsBrowser) are NOT showing files,
> but live objects. The way them relate to files is usually not really
> important.
>
> The ChangeSorter shows changes you have made to the image code. If you
> right click on a ChangeSet, you'll se options to save them to disk. Then
> (and only at that moment), the file that gets created will reflect the
> ChangeSet. When you resume modifying code, the file will be immediately
> outdated. *.user.*.changes files are not used by the system at all, and are
> saved to recover your code in case of a crash.
>
> (BTW, the rather specific answers, without going into full detail are
> partially on purpose, to encourage you to explore the system, but not
> totally unarmed.)

> [...]

<https://10pines.com/>Hernán WilkinsonSoftware Developer & Coach

Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina

+54 11 6091 3125

@HernanWilkinson