[Cuis-dev] DSL GUI framework

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 13 16:00:53 PDT 2021

On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 02:24:39PM +0200, Nicola Mingotti via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi Hilaire,
>
> In my opinion, the simplest GUI you can take inspiration from is Tk.
>
> The only layout manager you need is "pack", it is simple, universal
> and let you do basically all you need. Also, it is the same idea it is
> used in HTML and borrowed by several others systems.
>
> I sold software in Tk (20 years ago). the GUI was dynamic, in the
> sense that it was changing depending on the problem at hand.
>
> GUI programming requires leg work. Making a bare bone interface that
> e.g. does
> not scale on windows size, VB style, is pretty straightforward, but it
> is also indecent.
> It is on details that the hard (tedious) work will start.
>
> My 2 cents. Don't try to make it too easy, or you will loose the amount
> of flexibility required to make a good looking interface.

Hi Nicola,

This is off topic, but maybe of some interest if you are familiar
with Tk and the /usr/bin/wish Tk shell. I remember that you mentioned
in the Squeak birthday celebration that you had loaded CommandShell
from https://github.com/dtlewis290/Cuis-Smalltalk-CommandShell.

CommandShell is not yet ready for use in Cuis, but parts of it do work
without issue, so you can try evaluating this:

	"PipeableOSProcess tkExample"

This opens a Tk window with some buttons, connected to your Cuis
image with a PipeableOSProcess.

I wrote this a long time ago and it has never been used for anything
useful, but maybe it is of interest anyway.

Dave