[Cuis-dev] Apple Silicon Native Smalltalk VM for Cuis?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 10:22:41 PDT 2021

Hi Bruce, Hi Mark,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 7:43 AM Bruce O'Neel <bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> According to Eliot it works very well as a native Arm64 binary.    Thanks
> very much to him for all this work!
>
> There is a beta download below.

Just to be clear, the download is for Virtend, the 3D collaboration
environment built from Croquet and Squeak.  This is not exactly a Squeak
VM, but very close.  To run Squeak on Apple Silicon you have two choices
until we get a CI build set up:

1. use the x86_64 VM; the Appel binary translator is very very good, and
performance here is acceptable
2. check out git at github.com:OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git,
    read building/macos64ARMv8/HowToBuild (installing Xcode),
    cd to building/macos64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur, and
    run ./mvm -f to build your own VM.
    write a script to invoke
building/macos64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur/Squeak.app, or copy it to your
desktop, etc

> cheers
>
> bruce
>

> Does it work?
>

> Yes.
>

> How well does it work?
>

> Very very well.  We have a universal binary in beta here:
> https://www.3dicc.com/download/
>
> On 2021-10-22T02:02:24.000+02:00, Mark Taber via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
> Apologies if this has been asked until you are sick of answering it. I've ordered a new 16” MBP M1 Max (my Dynabook!), and it should be here the first week of November. Cuis is running fine under Rosetta 2. I’ll be learning Smalltalk and hopefully doing generative art and design after I get more comfortable with it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Taber
> Sacramento, CA
>
> P.S. The Cuis Book is excellent. Kudos!