[Cuis-dev] New Package. Cuis-Smalltalk-PostgreSQL

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 13:57:58 PDT 2021

Hi guys,

I ported the Postgres package from Squeak, made by Yanni Chiu and last
updated in 2006, to Cuis.

. As far as I can say it works, which means that:
. All 21 test from 2006 are green using a modern PostgreSQL as server.

The package is linked below; there should be enough info to let anybody who
has working knowledge of databases use it in less than 2 minutes.
https://github.com/nmingotti/Cuis-Smalltalk-PostgreSQL

To run the tests you need some privileges in a Postgres database.
I wrote how to do that as well.

This package is ONLY for PostgreSQL. I have no intention to mix it with
other databases.

The package comes from 2006, even if it works with classic data types,
you can forget about
putting in JSON or other modern fancy stuff people in 2006 would not
have thought about.
I may do that in a second step!

There is another package from Philip Bernhart which should do almost the
same
thing and probably more. I already told Philip why I did not use his code.
It is linked in my repository anyway. I have no time for competitions
and no energy
to spend on quarrels. I just need a sturdy package that does a very
mundane business.
For me, a code considered "1.0" in 2006 is a good fit so I chose it for
a revamp.

Also, for honestly speaking, i will tell I was less worried porting from
Squeak than from Pharo,
which I know far less.

bye
Nicola