[Cuis-dev] Cuis in the Web, one click to run

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 06:24:29 PDT 2021

On 9/22/21 2:43 AM, Vanessa Freudenberg via Cuis-dev wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 10:58 AM Nicola Mingotti <nmingotti at gmail.com
> <mailto:nmingotti at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi Juan, guys,
>
>     I think I made a large step forward this weekend on "CuisJS" :)
>
>     Please follow the instructions here:
>     https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/wiki/Run-Cuis-in-the-Web-Browser.-(SqueakJS)
>     <https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/wiki/Run-Cuis-in-the-Web-Browser.-(SqueakJS)>
>
>     Now there remains only to make the auto-update to make CuisJS
>     reflect the
>     changes in Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev.
>
>     let me know !
>
>     Bye
>     Nicola
>

> Very nice! I'm impressed 😊
>
> Older versions of Cuis used to run much faster on SqueakJS – guess the
> changes in the last few years added a bit of overhead that isn't
> noticeable on fast VMs.
>
> As for long download times: SqueakJS supports a "virtual" template
> file system backed by a directory structure accessed via http. It's
> used for example in EtoysJS and ScratchJS.
>
> Here's a screenshot showing these virtual files inside of Etoys.
> Notice that only the image and compressed sources have today's time
> stamp. These are the only files that were actually downloaded, all
> other files just have virtual meta data:
>
> --- cut image ---
>
> Only after I click a few of the files are they actually downloaded and
> from then on live locally:
>
> -- cut image ---
>
> If that's interesting to you I can tell you how to do it. I don't
> think I ever documented that part 😅
>
> Basically it just looks up "sqindex.json" in a directory. E.g. this
> one is backed by:
>
> https://freudenbergs.de/vanessa/squeakjs/Etoys/sqindex.json
> <https://freudenbergs.de/vanessa/squeakjs/Etoys/sqindex.json>
>
> To create sqindex.json files for a whole directory hierarchy use this
> script:
>
> https://github.com/codefrau/SqueakJS/blob/main/utils/mksqindex.py
> <https://github.com/codefrau/SqueakJS/blob/main/utils/mksqindex.py>
>
> and then when running the VM pass a "templates" option as in
>
> https://github.com/codefrau/SqueakJS/blob/main/etoys/etoys.js#L38
> <https://github.com/codefrau/SqueakJS/blob/main/etoys/etoys.js#L38>
>
> Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for your nice words :)

The way you dynamically get files is extremely interesting but, there is
catch,
for the moment I prefer to serve a few medium sized files than a lot of
little ones.
The server is very little and I use it to do a lot of stuff.

I will keep this option in my mind, in due moment I will ask you more
detail.

It would be expecially important for the directory "CoreUpdates" where
there
are a LOT of files and usually only the last of them are useful (to me).

In my opinion running a Smalltalk in the Web has huge potential, at least
for business intralan web applications where dev. time is important and
fading pictures and other eye catcher are not so relevant.

bye
Nicola