[Cuis-dev] DrGeo package

Nicola Mingotti nmingotti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 23:17:30 PDT 2021

Hi Hilaire,

>> Btw, Hilaire, do you plan to put DrGeo (the Cuis version at least)
>> into GitHub ?
>
> Hum, I like Launchpad. There is one feature I like most: the user can
> edit online .po file for translating the user interface.
>
> See http://translate.drgeo.eu
>
> The gettext package is something else I should get working on Cuis. It
> is not complicated. But latter.
>
> Okay, moving drgeo at github people may more easily collaborate or so?
> Not sure.

Yes, It would be the same way we do in Cuis so It would make external
contributions easy !
I expand a bit on this subject:

1. A lot of people use GitHub and know it.

1.1. In my case I didn't know how to collaborate on github, i learnt the
minimum to be operative in Cuis but now
that i learnt I am using it also for other projects.

2. It is easy to keep track of bugs

3. It is easy to make a minimal introductory documentation which will be
easy to find
for everybody. Then the GitHub main page could link to more professional
links
you already have e.g. in French.

4. easy to make a minimal wiki

5. If you put it on GitHub, running DrGeo would have the exact same
procedure than
running every other Cuis package. Because the repository name could be
Cuis-Smalltalk-DrGeo,
it would be easy to find. And from there, it would be just the same
procedure we use
for all other packages. No question to ask, no video to follow.

---- drawbacks -----

1. The GitHub repository would be special for the Cuis version. The
Pharo and Squeak version should be kept elsewhere. So, you will need to
maintain 2
repositories.

2. You need to learn a bit of GitHub, this is not too difficult but not
even a trivial thing.

Since I published a few packages already on GitHub I can give you an
hand to make it,
in case you need it.

bye
Nicola